Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Plus Five

Today is day +5 from transplant. He is almost to the 'bottom' which means his white blood cells is almost to zero. The Dr told him this morning the next five days or so he will feel lousy. (What would the doc call what he has felt already????pre-lousy) Gus' energy level is gone. He has about 10 % red blood cells which the doc said would be enough to work his organs if he will 'get up and move around'. He made it from the bed to the chair....then the challenge will be the shower. That will wipe him out for the rest of the afternoon. The best news of the morning is that he was able to have a much needed massage. He continues to loose weight because he cant eat much. He can keep down a milk shake made with Ensure drink with added protein. The foid smells that come thru the vents are awful for his sensitive nose. The nurse brought him so smelling pads to hekp that and cold cloths for his head. Our adventure goes on......1/2 of day 5 almost conquered.
    For the time being, I have to tie his shoes, he needed a cane to walk with because of his weakness, and he really is doing his best to do what is required of him. ( Dr. instructions--five things: eat, drink, pee, poop, and eat. ) Our friends, Doug and Dayle left yesterday. Doug has been a light for Gus to follow. Doug is ten days ahead of Gus. Doug has been able to tell us what to expect and how to conquer it. I miss Dayle and Doug. It was nice to have them close by...
     Early this afternoon, the social worker came in to check on us. I have been so brave. Gus is working very hard to do what little he can do. It is SO hard for me to watch. I finally broke down and cried. I didn't think I would stop. I have been teary eyed for an hour now. I miss home, I miss Adam, I miss the dogs, I miss the blue skies and the clean air. I miss my neighbors.......I miss Hurricane........








Gus and our Friend, Doug Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment